Sunday, November 21, 2010

Would cooking instruction video beat cookbooks in teaching me how to cook?

I have literally dozens of cookbooks that I have bought over the years. I recently came up with the idea of cooking instruction videos and bought a few. Now I am not only seeing but hearing the cooking and instructions. Would this help me better than the cookbooks?Would cooking instruction video beat cookbooks in teaching me how to cook?
If you have cable and the Food Network, and others, you can learn techniques and styles by watching those. Cookbooks are for recipes, videos %26amp; TV are for technique. You need both.Would cooking instruction video beat cookbooks in teaching me how to cook?
i would say so, you will learn faster instead of being reading little by little, but it all depends on your efforts.
I would use both. Use whatever works best for you. People learn new things in different ways.



Cooking is like playing an instrument: If you want to get good, then practice as much as possible.
No......
I agree with Tom K. Use every learning resource you can: books, videos, DVDs, TV, classes. The more you're exposed to materials, techniques, tools, and recipes, the larger your repertoire will become -- and the more you (and your guests) will enjoy your cooking.
I'm not much of a cook, but here's my two cents:



I think it's hard to just watch a video for a better understanding of cooking, HOWEVER, I'm kind of obsessed with this video blog from Susan Westmoreland (she's the head food lady at Good Housekeeping). She gives a new video cooking tip every day and usually they're super, super easy. I wouldn't say that they would replace how-to cookbooks, but they're always coupled with a recipe and help make cooking it easier. In the end, I think a combo of video and book works best.



If you're interested: http://www.goodhousekeeping.com/food/dinner/
Videos and cookbooks both have their place.One will never be better than the other.Both are equally useful.

But quit spending your money on videos,and just watch (and maybe tape or Tivo) Food Network.

I've always loved to cook , but my skills have improved considerably from watching Food Network regularly over the past few years.

Their website rocks too!

But don't forget cookbooks! Video will never be able to fill the gap in your cooking arsenal that cookbooks occupy.
It will. I cook from cookbooks but find that watching the video step by step allows me to see for myself THE CORRECT WAY TO CARRY OUT THE PROCEDURE/TECHNIQUE.

From the cookbook, i just do what I understand from reading it. From a clear video I can watch for myself the technique.

If you are a kinesthetic learner, it DEFINITELY

WILL.

Here is a good video site for you.

http://www.videojug.com/film/how-to-make
  • relationship advice needed
  • deny a home rental applicat
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment